What are Three Warning Signs of an Overloaded Electrical Circuit?
What are the three warning signs of an overloaded electrical circuit and how can you protect yourself from danger. An electrical circuit consists of three parts: a source of electricity, some way to carry the electricity, and something that consumes the electricity as it flows through the circuit.
Overloading an electrical circuit occurs when too much electricity goes through one part of the circuit or if something in the circuit prevents the flow of electricity, causing problems like tripped breakers, blown fuses, and fire hazards.
To prevent these potential dangers and have your electrical system working at peak performance, look out for these warning signs of an overloaded electrical circuit.
How Do Electrical Circuit Overloads Work?
Electrical circuit overloads can occur when more appliances or devices are being used than what is being supplied by a power source.
Take, for example, someone who has used a hairdryer, coffee maker, and toaster on an extension cord.
All three appliances require about 3 watts to function correctly; however, with one household circuit rated for 20 amps (or 1,920 watts), it won’t handle that amount of power without tripping off and shutting down completely.
As such, electricity will overload a circuit if it receives more power than what it can handle. It can cause a breaker or fuse to shut off service temporarily or even start a fire due to overheating wires.
What are Signs of Overloaded Circuits?
While every electrical circuit has a specific voltage and amperage rating, most circuits don’t operate at 100% power all day long.
It’s more likely that they only operate at a fraction of their capacity, so you don’t notice any issues until they become full.
When your circuit loads, it creates sparks and leads to fires or even significant structural damage to your home or office building. The following are warning signs to watch out for.
1. Flickering Lights:
If your lights are flickering on and off when you flick them on or off manually, it could signify that your circuit is overloaded.
It might also indicate an issue with another device in your house—if one light bulb burns out in another room, for example, that extra current can cause problems with other devices. Check for burned-out bulbs if you see flickering around your home.
2. Strange Noises:
An overloaded circuit can also make strange noises such as cracking or popping; these noises are usually due to arcing in wires and insulation breakdown within electrical appliances. Sizzling sounds may indicate that something is burning up inside your equipment, so immediately turn off power to whatever piece of equipment makes these noises and contact a professional for help.
3. Burning odors from outlets or switches:
You may notice a burning smell coming from your outlets, switch plates, or light fixtures. It could indicate that there is too much electrical load on your circuit. It occurs due to excessive heat generated by wiring too many devices.
If you notice any red flags in your home, it’s time to call a licensed electrician—fast. Letting them linger could lead to serious safety hazards and potential fire risks. Therefore, it’s essential to ensure that your home’s electrical system functions properly.
With regular inspections from an electrician or a DIY test from your local hardware store, you can quickly troubleshoot these problems and get things running smoothly once again.
Be sure to follow AC Electric for our latest blogs by experts!