Experiencing Power Outages: Cleveland, Akron, Northeast Ohio
Sudden darkness. The whirl of the refrigerator winding down. The beep from a desktop computer. Power outages are abrupt and unexpected, yet we immediately know what is happening.
However, you may not know the answer to these more important questions:
- Why did the power go out?
- Where can I find more information?
- What do I do next?
Here we answer the questions that arise when you are frantically typing into your phone, “Are there power outages near me?” So grab a flashlight and get reading!
Determine Why the Power is Out
Your town or neighborhood may be experiencing power outages; Cleveland often encounters plenty of weather that leaves power lines in its wake. But it may also be a household issue.
When the lights go out, AEP Ohio suggests you:
- Check all circuit breakers to diagnose the root cause of the power outage
- Call an electrician if you discover standing water near electrical wiring or appliances (do not touch the water!)
- Call an electrician if the meter or any of the piping and wires on the wall of your home or office are gone or looked damaged
- Protect circuits from overload when power is restores by turning off appliances and all but one light
Staying Safe During Power Outages
Electricity and water don’t mix, and a lack of lighting compounds your risk. Here’s how to stay safe during a power outage:
- Avoid downed power lines and sparking equipment—call AC Electric immediately to report these issues!
- Do not touch debris within 10 feet of downed power lines
- Refuel heaters, lamps and generators outside—stay away from flames and sparks
Clean fuel spills immediately
- Do not connect a generator’s electrical output to a live home or building electrical circuit
- Only operate lanterns, heaters and fuel-fired stoves with proper ventilation
- Never burn charcoal indoors—it releases carbon monoxide
- Do not allow children to carry candles or oil lamps
Find More Information: Power Outage Reports
Once you have established your home’s systems aren’t to blame, you will want to check a trusted source to determine if there is a power outage near you. Here are the best local resources:
Need assistance during power outages in Cleveland, Akron or Northeast Ohio?
Power outages Cleveland: 216-941-3072
Power outages Akron: 330-659-0700